History of Interstate Hotels & Resorts
Tracing its roots to 1960, Interstate Hotels & Resorts has grown in strength and experience over the past five decades. With a diversity of talented leadership and management, Interstate delivers an unmatched level of service and results to owners, and a world of opportunities for associates.
The first decade of the new millennium provided significant opportunties for Interstate: in 2002, Pittsburgh-based Interstate Hotels Corp. (IHC) and Washington, DC-based MeriStar Hotels & Resorts (MHR) merged to form Interstate Hotels & Resorts (IHR). By the end of the decade, Interstate announced it would be acquired by a joint venture between Thayer Lodging and Jin Jiang Hotels. In between, the company executed on a strategic growth plan through hotel investments along with an intensified international expansion, ultimately holding interests in 56 properties and operating in seven countries.
Today, Interstate celebrates an anniversary milestone, "Exceeding Expectations for 50 Years," and embarks on another decade of success with renewed energy to deliver excellence to customers and carry out its vision to be the leading, independent, multinational hotel operator worldwide.
- Interstate opens the 366-room Renaissance Moscow Monarch Centre, its seventh managed hotel in Russia's capital city (2010).
- The company forms a strategic alliance with International Hotel Investments Ltd (IHI Ltd), an affiliate of Harte Holdings, to operate and selectively invest in hotels throughout Europe (2010).
- Interstate signs a joint venture agreement with Jin Jiang Hotels to manage hotels in China, creating a platform for third-party hotel management in that country (2010).
- Interstate Hotels & Resorts is acquired and becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of a 50/50 joint venture between Thayer Lodging and Jin Jiang Hotels (2010).
- JHM Interstate Hotels India opens the Four Points by Sheraton Jaipur-City Square hotel in India (2009).
- Interstate Hotels & Resorts expands its international portfolio with three boutique hotels in London, making England the seventh country outside the U.S. with an Interstate presence (2009).
- The company forms a joint venture with JHM Hotels, named JHM Interstate Hotels India, to operate hotels in India. Interstate also invests in the Duet Fund which is focused on the development of hotels in India (2008).
- The company's Crossroads select-service division opens and manages the first Aloft hotel in the U.S., the Aloft Ontario-Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Later in the year, Crossroads opens the Aloft Nashville-Cool Springs, TN (2008).
- Interstate opens a branch office in Moscow to oversee Moscow and Europe hotel operations, sales and development (2007).
- Interstate is selected to manage the first Hilton-branded hotel in Moscow, the Hilton Leningradskaya, which reopens in 2008 after extensive renovations (2006).
- The company enters Mexico through a joint venture with Steadfast Companies, named IHR de Mexico, which invests in and operates three resorts under the Tesoro Resorts brand (2007).
- Interstate opens and manages the Marriott Ghent in Belgium and the Marriott Ashbourne in Ireland (2006).
- Interstate opens and manages the first Residence Inn in Manhattan (2005).
- Interstate Hotels & Resorts acquires Sunstone Hotel Properties, an operating company with 54 premium full- and select-service hotels (2004).
- Interstate Hotels Corp. (IHC) and MeriStar Hotels & Resorts (MHR) merge to form Interstate Hotels & Resorts (IHR) (2002).